How do I find the information I am looking for?
- All parts are listed on the left-hand menu, when any Part is selected the list of Chapters within that part will be displayed.
- Within each Chapter you will see there are tabs which provide access to Design, Materials, Sitework and Appendices. In Chapter 4.2 there is an additional tab to access the electronic foundation depth calculator.
- Each Chapter has a Chapter index which helps locate key terms.
- If you are looking for a particular keyword or phrase, enter the term into the site search. All references made to the term in the Standards document will be presented, in context. Click on the most appropriate entry to be taken to the full requirement.
How can I tell what content has changed in this version?
Chapter 1.2 'A consistent approach to finishes' has been updated to reflect NHBC's philosophy of continually improving Standards. First published in 1999 and revised in 2003 and 2006, this latest version builds on previous editions and also ventures into new areas such as ;- wall and floor tiling, sockets and switches, sealant and external works including decks, terraces and balconies.
Chapter 6.9 'Curtain walling and cladding' has been updated with some important changes to the definitions of primary and secondary components and their durability. Where secondary components cannot be readily replaced they will have to meet the requirements for primary components.
Chapter 6.1 'External masonry walls'' has been updated to include references to cast stone products.
Chapter 9.2 'Drives, paths, and landscaping' has been amended to reflect requirements for timber decking more than 600mm high with reference made to the Timber Decking Association.
All minor changes are identified by a red vertical marker adjacent to the relevant paragraph and the revised text underlined in red.
- The CD version of the Standards contains an electronic calculator to determine foundation depths when building near trees. The Chapter 4.2 electronic calculator replaces the old slide rule and is quicker and easier to use. The calculator can also determine the most onerous tree and give guidance on heave precautions.
Can I print out the Standards?
At the top of each page you will find a ‘Print this page’ link which will enable you to print out individual sections. The prints produced are in a printer-friendly format, however if you require a full hard copy we suggest you use the PDF version also found on the CD or purchase a hard-copy from the e-shop at www.nhbc.co.uk (opens in a new window).
Throughout this application of the Standards coloured content text is used as follows:
- Red text = Technical Requirements that must be met by the builder
- Black text = Performance Standards for Design, Materials and Sitework.
- Blue text = Guidance (on how the Performance Standards may be met).
All links in the application will be displayed in blue to indicate they provide access to another part of the application, the colour coding outlined above relates to body text only.